Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dying Light

Dying Light

New Zombie game by the people who made Dead Island. Looks kinda cool, but I'm still skeptical of it. I liked Dead Island, which is more than can be said for most people, but I didn't really like the feel of the movement, so i'm not sure how Techland is going to introduce parkour when their movement already felt a little clunky.

It already looks like it plays just like Dead Island in regards to swinging melee weapons. Guess I'll just wait and see.
    Last edited by Hit; 16-02-2015 at 04:35 PM.

i got dead island, played it for 21 minutes. dunno what to say about it, not my cup of tea.

I've seen the gameplay of this too, and i got to say i can't wait to make a home-run swing with an axe at some zombies. Movement might not be their best field, but they sure did a nice job on the options you have to bat and slice zombies up, i'd give ya that. And the fact that it changes to a sort-of horror game at nighttime and you actually feel relieved when it gets light again is quite a nice feature aswell

Made by Umi

It was the day the sun's ray had turned pale with pity for the suffering of his Maker
    when I was caught, and I put up no fight, my lady, for your lovely eyes had bound me.

NOPROBLEM Guest
    reminds me of fallout nv (look and feel) mixed with mirrors edge (rooftop jumping) and any generic zombie game.

looks alright

got this game a couple days ago. Damn it's fun as fuck. Night time is so scary but luckily they only force a night time mission on you once, the rest are optional.

Progression is nice, you start off as a pretty mediocre runner, but as you level up you get better at climbing and running shit. By the end you can get a grappling hook that has a recharge time, combining the running with the hook makes it 10x quicker but i often fucked up the grappling and died.

Voice acting is 10000x better than dead island, combat feels more real too. In dead island you and the zombies had levels, there are no levels in this one, but your weapons have damage numbers. At the start, every zombie encounter is difficult as shit since it takes like 50 swings to kill one, but again, progression is good and eventually you get good weapons that do some real damage, but combat remains risky and you have to crowd control and manage stamina (don't swing for days).

Movement is phenomenal. Literally every first person game should aspire to have movement like dying light's. Running, jumping, and climbing around have never been so fun in a first person open world game. I downloaded a digital copy and played some as it installed, i only got to like the 3rd main mission before it told me I had to wait for installation to finish before progressing, but it allowed me to continue free roaming so I did. Spent hours just exploring the city, so much content and it's fun to explore. 10/10 movement.

If you liked dead island, get this game.

If you like the idea of improved mirror's edge movement, get this game.

If you like zombie/post apocalyptic settings, bitch you guessed it, get this game.

I really enjoyed dead island, and gave it a 9/10. But this game really improves upon everything dead island did wrong and is a much better game for it. Realistically, if dead island was a 5-6, this game would be 9.

would recommend.

edit:

forgot to mention the stealth aspects and zombie variations.

Most of the zombies are your typical slow walkers, but there are infected who can sprint, climb, and chase you. Boomers, acid spitters, brutes, tanks, and volatiles. Volatiles only come out at night and actively search for you, they have a field of vision that can be seen on your mini map, these are the guys that make night time terrifying. If one sees you, they all see you, and they hunt you relentlessly, they run faster than you so you can't outrun them on a straight away, gotta parkour out of there. There are designated safe zones that use UV lights to keep them out, and you have a little portable UV flashlight but its not worth it. There are also traps you can activate as you run by to stop them. It's best never to get seen though.

sound is a big part of the game as well. Every time you shoot a gun or fall through a roof and make a loud noise, a circle radiates from your cursor on the mini map signifying you made a loud noise. Loud noises attract zombies, especially infected and volatiles. In the day time it's not too bad, but not worth the gun shots especially early on, because early on even 1 infected can cause problems for you. At night you're boned if you even shit yourself.
    Last edited by Hit; 16-02-2015 at 05:06 PM.

is this game actually worth the 60$ or should i wait till it 30$ cause i got dead island for 60 and it was shit so i was just wonder about this piece of crap

well i thought it was worth $60 and so far it is, especially if a game like COD or shadow of mordor was also worth $60.

It depends what you hated about dead island, this game does everything better but if it was the basic premise of dead island you didn't like, you probably won't like this game either.

Quote Originally Posted by Hit View Post
    well i thought it was worth $60 and so far it is, especially if a game like COD or shadow of mordor was also worth $60.

It depends what you hated about dead island, this game does everything better but if it was the basic premise of dead island you didn't like, you probably won't like this game either.
    Dead island combat felt so clunky and bad but if the combat is more improve then i'd say it be better (i like everything i see just wondering if the combat is better

i thought the combat was one thing dead island did right, it was very technical in that you had to aim for specific body parts, but i guess it was a bit clunky.

dying light's combat is pretty much like Skyrim's I'd say. They dumbed down the dead island mechanics so its basically just swing until the thing dies. It's pretty satisfying using a blade weapon though because hitting their arms, legs, heads, can cut them clean off or in half. Much smoother than dead island's thats for sure.

Thread Information